Tuesday, August 22, 2006

OASIS IPR Rules for Dummies

The deadline by which existing OASIS Technical Committees must move to one of the three allowed IP modes is fast approaching.

I don't think I'm unique in having trouble understanding the differences between RAND, RF on RAND Terms, and RF on Limited Terms. I love to argue but that doesn't make me a lawyer.

I created the following table to help me. As I see it, the two most important parameters are whether or not the patent holder may be able to charge royalties, and whether or not any terms (other than royalties) are left open to possible negotiation between the patent holder and the licenses or explicitly called out. So, at its most basic (and surely glossing over important subtleties), a 2 by 2 table.



Does beg the question, why was RAND on Limited Terms ruled out?

And if you base any real business decision on this interpretation then the title is a good fit ...

Breaking News: I was very proud of this table. At least until I saw OASIS's version. I swear it wasn't there the last time I looked.

No comments: